Teen artists — create a chalk artwork at the Pittsburg Public Library in celebration of our Summer Reading Kick-Off Party!
You and a partner will have four hours to work on a 5’x5′ sidewalk chalk artwork with all supplies provided.
Anyone who attends the Kick-Off Party will be able to vote for their favorite artwork. The winning teammates will each receive a $50 Visa gift card.
Registration required – register using the form below.
Artist Work Time
Thursday, June 1st
Kick-off party and voting begins at 4:00 p.m.
- Open to teens entering grades 6-12 in the fall.
- Artists can work individually or in a team of two.
- Designs should be inspired by reading, books, libraries, or the 2023 Summer Reading Program theme, “All Together Now”. This year’s theme is all about kindness, friendship, and unity. Use your imagination!
- A 5 foot x 5 foot square of concrete sidewalk will be assigned to each team.
- Chalk, bottled water, and snacks will be provided.
- Artists will have between 12:00 and 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 1st to work on their art. The kick-off event and voting begins at 4:00 p.m.
- The first place winner(s) will be contacted the next day and receive a $50 Visa gift card.
- Plan your design in advance!
- Be prepared to change color schemes based on available chalk colors.
- Begin working as close to 12:00 p.m. as possible to ensure you are finished in time.
- Bring a printed copy of your design for you and your teammate. Your phone may be difficult to see in the sun. The library has a printer you can use.
- Draw a grid onto your printed design by dividing it into three sections vertically and horizontally (like a tic-tac-toe board). Divide out your assigned concrete square into the same grid. This will help keep everything in proportion when drawing on a large scale. The library will provide yardsticks and tape measures to be shared between teams. Bring your own if possible.