Welcome to the Pittsburg Public Library (PPL). The Library serves the residents of Pittsburg, Kansas and the surrounding communities as a member of the Southeast Kansas Library System (SEKLS). PPL cards are free to all Kansas residents. The Library has approximately 20,700 registered users.
PPL is a member of a local library consortium that includes the Unified School District (USD) 250 libraries and the Axe Library at Pittsburg State University. The Library has a physical collection of over 70,000 items as well as access to a wide array of digital resources. The Library also offers programs for all ages, a computer lab, and a Bookmobile home delivery service to Pittsburg residents.
The library is governed by a Board of Trustees, whose members are appointed by the Mayor with approval by the City Commission.
Whether it’s in-person, online, or through outreach, the Pittsburg Public Library strives to offer excellent library service to all patrons.
The Pittsburg Public Library provides free access to ideas, materials, and services that support the cultural, educational, and recreational enrichment of the community.
The Pittsburg Public Library first opened its doors in January 1902 when the west wing of the city office building was used to house a small collection of books. The citizens of Pittsburg quickly realized the value of a public library and in 1907 the Library Board of Trustees began looking for ways to secure funds for a larger building.
The Board approached steel industrialist Andrew Carnegie who was noted for his philanthropy towards libraries. Carnegie agreed to donate $40,000 towards a new building. Carnegie’s involvement angered area miners, and in order to appease them it was agreed that the Carnegie name would not appear on the façade of the building.
Designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Patton and Miller and completed in 1912, the new building was one of few Carnegie libraries exemplifying Prairie Style architecture. This design choice was another concession to the miners and residents who did not want an elaborate or ornate facility. The library building features an exterior of Carthage limestone and the interior furnishings reflect the Arts and Crafts style made popular during the early twentieth century. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Again outgrowing its space, the public library underwent an extensive addition and renovation in 1996-98 funded by a one-half cent sales tax. Details of the original building were incorporated into the addition, which more than doubled the library’s space. A new entrance was created facing Walnut Street. The original south exterior wall was preserved and is now inside the building, demonstrating the seamless transition between old and new. The expansion project transformed the historic building into a true community center by adding the children’s library, public meeting room, lobby space and more. The project also included the addition of an elevator and ramps which make the entire building accessible to all patrons. In 1999 the Pittsburg Public Library received the Award for Excellence from the Kansas Preservation Alliance.
Carol Ann Robb
Adult Services Librarian
Youth Services Librarian
Young Adult Librarian
Department Contact Information
The Pittsburg Public Library Board Members meet on the second Wednesday of each month at 4:30pm in the library meeting room. Board meetings are open to the public. Please call (620) 231-8110 for more information.
Pittsburg Public Library
308 N Walnut
Pittsburg, KS 66762
► Library Hours
Sun: 1:00p - 5:00p
Mon -Thu: 9:00a - 8:00p
Fri: 9:00a - 5:00p
Sat: 10:00a - 4:00p